In front of the Church of Holy Spirit (commonly known a s the church of St. Francis of Assisi), there is a narrow steep which leads to the chapel of St. Catherine of Alexandria (Egypt). The spot marks the venue of the battle that took place between the Portuguese and the Mohamadans when the Muslim City of Goa was conquered by Alfonso De Albuquerque, on 25th November 1510.
The chapel seems to have been subsequently rebuilt for the third time, when the slab which was over the door of the chapel was removed and fixed in the wall near the side door facing the East. The slab had tile legend of Governor Alfonso de Albuquerque entering the city and conquering it from the Moors in 1510. The legend can be still read in Portuguese.
The Chapel, though small in size, stands out as an historical monument erected in 1510, on the site where formerly stood the gate through which the Portuguese entered the Muslim City. The Governer, George Cabral (1549-51) had it enlarged in 1550. The feast of St. Catherine was celebrated in this chapel every year with solemnity on 25th November. A solemn procession from the Cathedral went to the Chapel in which, all dignitaries, civil and ecclesiastical took part.
Visit the Chapel of St. Catherine on your Goa Tour.